Hard to imagine that this hand-colored post card, courtesy of Tim Baxter, is really how downtown Windsor just east of Ouellette Avenue on Riverside (formerly Sandwich) once looked. Today, all the buildings are gone, as is the street car and tracks, those lovely ornate street lights and of course, all the people as this was taken around 1910.
Built in 1909 by renowned architects Carrere and Hastings, the elegant Beaux Art style The Toronto Dominion Bank on the corner (white building) was dismantled when the Norwich Block was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Canderel Building and Chrysler Canada Headquarters.
The bank was put into storage at the Sewage Treatment Plant (of all places). Despite hopes that it would be reused in some capacity along the waterfront or in Olde Walkerville, it continues to remain in bits and pieces at the sewage plant.
A sad metaphor for our city’s inherent disregard for its past.